The EEF is working to support schools unlock the potential of their teaching assistants.
In March 2015 the EEF published a Guidance Report for teachers and school leaders entitled Making Best Use of Teaching Assistants. Previous research had shown that in many English schools teaching assistants are not being used in ways that improve pupil outcomes. However, recent research demonstrates that when they are well trained and used in structured settings with high-quality support and training, teaching assistants can make a noticeable positive impact on pupil learning.
The report makes seven evidence-based recommendations to help schools maximise the impact of teaching assistants, including:
- Use TAs to add value to what teachers do, not to replace them
- Ensure TAs are fully prepared for their role in the classroom
- Use TAs to deliver high-quality one-to-one and small group support using structured interventions
Download the report
- Making Best Use of Teaching Assistants(interactive PDF)
- Making Best Use of Teaching Assistants (printable version)